Picking a natural foundation is a step that many Radiant Rebels find themselves taking when they make the switch to all natural products. This is a decision we help a lot of women make, and thankfully the old notion that “naturals don’t work” is far from true. In fact, natural beauty products that are made with effective and skin benefiting ingredients is what we’re all about!
If you’re on the road to regaining control of your skin, you know that using ingredients your skin knows what to do with is the best way to work with your skin – not against it! Continuing to use products that have toxic-rated ingredients and impurities only increases our toxic load, burdening our body and sending us farther away from a naturally balanced, glowing, and healthy complexion!
With that said, coverage is a big part of picking a foundation! Just because you’ve made the decision to use all natural products, doesn’t mean you need to give up whatever coverage you like best.
In the picture above, you’ll see what my skin looked like before and after applying each of our 3 foundations. You’ll also notice there’s a little indicator scale below each set that refers to the amount of coverage the foundations provide.
Below we’ll talk about coverage for each foundation plus provide a guide on how to get the best application for each.
But before moving on, I want to make sure you know that if you need help picking a foundation, or you’re stuck on which shade would be best for you, we’re here to help! We have several resources for our foundations (listed below) if you’re and info junkie (like me), or get personalize assistance by reaching out to us 🙂
- Foundation Colour Matching Chart
- Shade Aid Database
- or contact us via instagram, facebook, or email 🙂
Nature’s Veil CC Cream
Looking for no-fuss, light to medium coverage? If you said “yes please” then our Nature’s Veil cc cream is your new best friend!
Here’s a quick profile of our cc cream:
- Provides a light, yet buildable, coloured coverage
- Can be worn on its own, or under foundation for heavier coverage
- Contains sun-blocking properties
- Packed with aloe and chamomile to help calm acne and irritated sensitive skin
- Contains antioxidants to help fight premature aging
- SUPER lightweight, for that barely there feeling
- Evens out skin tones and hides imperfections, especially those with pink/red hyperpigmentation and scarring
- Hydrating AND moisturizing (Yes there’s a difference, click here to learn more)
- Perfect for those with rosacea, sensitive or acne prone skin
There’s so much awesomeness in this jam-packed into this product that we’ve provided a detailed breakdown right over here.
Mineral Makeup Foundation
Our mineral formula continues to be my forever go-to foundation! When I feel like doing my makeup, I love that this one never lets me down and always provides a smooth, flawless application. Even better is I can achieve full yet natural looking coverage without feeling like I’m wearing anything on my face! I can also decide on the amount of coverage based on how many layers I blend onto my skin – I can go light, medium, full or anything in between!
Acne-prone gals like me love that this foundation is natural anti-bacterial power powder! It works as a foundation, concealer, powder, and includes sun ray blocking titanium dioxide (one of the best sun blocking minerals found in natural sunscreen). A little bit of foundation is all you need to create a naturally luminous, healthy complexion.
Find out more about our mineral foundation, plus check out more before and afters here.
Our whipped foundation is loved by full-coverage seekers, especially rosacea-prone gals (seeing red? then whipped foundation is your new best friend!). It’s also for gals who really love to play with makeup and take time applying their look-of-the-day.
There’s a lot to love about our whipped foundation, including:
- Jojoba oil helps to moisturize & regulate the production of excess sebum (GREAT for oily skin)
- A barely-there feel with this weightless formula
- Provides a natural, healthy glow (not oily) with light reflecting micas.
- Buildable coverage from medium to full- hides those breakouts without looking cakey.
- Vegan & gluten free!
- Won’t clog or bog your pores
- Acne & Rosacea prone skin safe
- An aid in protecting your skin from the sun
- Available in SEVEN, bendable shades
Our skin loves the skin super foods for your skin found in our whipped formula including Vitamin E, Shea Butter, Rosewood & Lavender Oils. Not to mention all the benefits of Jojoba Oil including its ability to help fight acne breakouts, super moisturizing properties, and talent for helping to regulate the rate at which your skin produces oils.
Another big perk that we love about this formula is it sets to a demi-matte finish without drying out your skin, so you still have a natural glow, but without the shine. Plus it won’t just hide your breakouts, it’s going to work hard to help heal them!
Find out even more about our whipped foundation here.
Ok Radiant Rebels, now I’m going to turn this post over to VA Karla so she can help us with getting a flawless application!
Did you find a foundation that matches your vibe? I hope so! Remember, we’re here to help if you have any questions. Now, let’s talk about how to apply your chosen foundation flawlessly!
1) Arm yourself with the right tools!
Each foundation is best applied with a specific tool. Since our foundations are all so different, a different tool is needed for each. Here’s a summary of the tool to use for each foundation to get the best application:
- Nature’s Veil CC Cream = Beauty Blender
- Mineral Makeup Foundation = Kabuki Brush
- Whipped Foundation = Stippling Brush
2) Learn the tricks of the trade! (tips + videos)
Nature’s Veil CC Cream + Beauty Blender
Tricks of the trade:
- Always use damp. They’re meant to be used in combination with some water. At the same time, damp is the keyword; too much water will impede its ability to do its job and change the formulation of your foundation. Get it good and wet, then ring it out well before applying foundation.
- It’s all in the pounce! Don’t pull the blender across your skin in an attempted to blend. You literally want to dab it up and down on your skin. The product will melt and blend and the texture of the sponge will help to create a skin-like texture. You may start out slow as you get used to this type of application, but it gets faster as you become more comfortable.
- Don’t wait in between picking up the product and applying to your face. You can pump directly onto the beauty blender, or even dab it directly onto your face and use the damp sponge to blend from there.
- Apply in light layers and build the coverage. You should be able to achieve a solid medium coverage with the Nature’s Veil CC Cream.
- VIDEO: Watch Batty’s alternative and quick application of our Nature’s Veil CC Cream HERE
Mineral Makeup Foundation + Kabuki Brush
Tricks of the trade:
- When buying a kabuki brush, look for ones with super soft bristles. You’ll be doing a lot of buffing, so you don’t want to be irritating your skin.
- Make sure your moisturizer and other skin care routine products are fully absorbed before applying this type of foundation. The minerals will stick and be harder to buff is you don’t.
- Take the time to load the brush. Start by dipping the brush in the minerals and tapping the excess in the cap. Then give that kabuki a good swirl in the excess powder to really ensure you’re filling the brush with product.
- Buff and build. Buff and build. While it takes a little time to master the application, once you do, you’ll love minerals for their soft-focus finish. The key to getting there is taking the time to apply in light layers and really buffing each one out before applying more. You can build the coverage from sheer to full without looking caking. Just be sure to give each layer the attention it needs.
- Don’t be afraid to mix shades. This is probably the easiest foundation to mix and match shades to get a true match for your skin tone. Natural mineral foundations contain micas which reflect light (without looking sparkly) making them super adjustable to a number of different skin tones.
- VIDEO: Check out Batty’s video tutorial on how she applies mineral foundation HERE
Whipped Foundation + Stippling Brush
Tricks of the trade:
- Do as the name suggests and stipple. Using a stippling motion helps to warm up the product making the thicker consistency easier to blend while avoiding streaks and wiping away product. It may take an extra minute to blend completely, but the results will give you an airbrushed finish.
- Try to keep the brush perpendicular to your face. You want the bristles to hit straight on. Turning it on an angle will increase your chances of leaving streaks.
- Once you’ve got your foundation blended, you can always go over it with a Beauty Blender to pick up any excess product in areas that feel heavy
- VIDEO: Watch my video tutorial on how I apply our Whipped Foundation HERE!
Remember- these are simply suggestions. If you find something that works better for you- you do you girl! The best part about makeup is that there aren’t any rules. Have fun and enjoy the freedom to be your true self.
3) Keep it clean!
If I can leave you with one last tip it would be that no matter what brush or tool you end up using, make sure it’s clean. Brushes should be deep cleaned at least once a week to avoid bacteria that can cause breakouts. As an added bonus, a brush that’s not gunked up with makeup will work more effectively to help you achieve the finish you desire. Find out how to naturally clean your makeup brushes right here.
Did you pick up any new tips or find a foundation that you want to try out? I’d love to hear about it! Hit us up in the Radiant Rebel only facebook group! Not a radiant rebel yet? Find out if our tribe of radiant women is for you by checking this out.