AUTUMN ACNE ALERT!
While most think of summer as the season that brings on breakouts the most, autumn isn’t far behind! And for some, can even worse than the summer!
Why? Because all the extra oil pumping action our skin experiences during the summer months hasn’t slowed down yet, BUT – there’s an added twist that we don’t see during the summer – the cooler weather and drier air have our skin developing a build-up of dead skin cells.
This build up interferes with the oil getting to the surface of our skin unobstructed. Obstructed oil means oil that either it doesn’t reach the surface at all (gets trapped in our pores!) or it’s seriously slowed down, creating congestion. As we know from previous posts (How to Pick a Cleanser for Acne Prone Skin) and broadcasts (Check out all our broadcast replays on Facebook HERE), bacteria comes running when oil starts collecting in pores, and the perfect conditions for acne are created!
Here’s how to avoid the downfall of fall, plus tips that can help everyone have radiant skin this autumn!
- Make Sure you’re using the right cleanser for your skin!
- Use your cleanser to break down the build up of dead skin cells. This can be done by using cleansers and exfoliators with fruit enzymes like pineapple.
- If you’re not using the right cleanser, you can make the situation worse by using one that’s too harsh or too drying. In both cases, this increases the build up of dead skin cells and reduces the ability for hydrators and moisturizers to absorb into your skin.Make sure you’re using the right cleanser!
- Find the right cleanser for your skin here (How to Pick a Cleanser for Acne Prone Skin)
- Pump up the hydration in preparation for the cooler weather arriving.
- Our skin will soon feel the brunt of the cooler winds arriving here in North America, and supporting the deep layers of your skin by feeding them lots of hydration is a great first step in a) prepping your skin for the seasonal changes and b) avoiding all the skin troubles that can come along with cooler weather, less sun, and the furnace pumping out dry air.
- HERE is a link to our most informative blog posts on why & how to hydrate your skin.
- Seal in that hydration!
- To get all the benefits of the hydration you’ll be feeding your skin, your skin actually has to have time to absorb it. If it’s not given that time, the hydration will simply absorb into the air instead! Sounds a little unproductive, doesn’t it?! To protect all your hydrating efforts from vanishing into thin air (or autumn air as the case may be), seal them in!
- My recommendations for this is to approach “the sealing” in 2 different ways: daily and weekly.
- Daily: Simply seal with a moisturizer
- Weekly: At the end of summer, aim to apply a serum in the PM 2x a week (or more if needed!) as the air gets cooler and the furnace gets turned on
- Increase the amount of exfoliating you’re doing, but be GENTLE!
- Many find that because of the heat in the summer, exfoliating much is a no-go! But when we enter autumn, our skin’s reactivity and general sensitivity usually calms down and we can start exfoliating more. Pst.. If your skin doesn’t take well to exfoliating during the summer months, remember this for next summer: exfoliation doesn’t have to be done with scrubs, or friction. It can be done with a completely smooth, calming, gel (Check out our Pure Amore Gel Cleanser).
- To reduce the build-up of dead skin cells that will start to develop as the air gets cooler, exfoliating should be a regular part of your routine.
- While exfoliation should be a regular part of your autumn skin care routine, be gentle and don’t overdo it! Listen to your skin – if it’s not feeling so great after even a gentle exfoliation, pair back how often you’re working it into your routine.
- Take a look at THIS POST to narrow down the right exfoliation method for you.
- Double check that you have a complete, balanced, and supportive routine.
Now that you’ve got your autumn skin care on lock, there’s no reason to avoid the beauty of autumn. Throw on that favourite hoodie, grab a cup of pumpkin spiced tea and go for a hike amongst the changing leaves.
With love & radiance,
Regain Control with a Skin Reset
Get off the rollercoaster of having to hunt down a new product every time your skin becomes unruly! Bring your skin back into balance with our routine builder workbook! Enter your email address below and I'll send it to you right away!