There’s no better feeling than a freshly washed, wild and free, buck naked face! However, the real question is- have you got it all?”
Every makeup lover knows the struggle is real when it comes to removing conventional makeup products. You come to have a love-hate relationship with waterproof mascara and liquid eyeliner, and almost everyone knows that feeling when you’ve almost rubbed your lips raw trying to remove a lip stain.
SO LET’S TALK ABOUT THAT! There are some things you’ll want to consider next time you’re doing laps on those lashes with the wand or oogling the newest eyeshadow palette at your neighbourhood drug store.
- Crude oil? More like CRUEL oil! You’ll never be truly free from your makeup if you’re using products that contain petroleum-based ingredients. I don’t know about you, but when I see the images of animals in an oil spill, it breaks my heart, and I could never imagine purposefully doing that to my skin. Petroleum based derivatives and mineral oil are two of the most common ingredients found on the market today! Your skin is your largest organ, and your pores are also the easiest and fastest way for all sorts of things (including toxins and chemicals) to be absorbed into your body. Petroleum contains hydrocarbons which are a well know carcinogen connected to cancer. Another reason to remove petroleum from your routine is because of their pore clogging abilities. It’s been marketed (for years) as a way to lock moisture into your skin. Sounds great, but moisture isn’t the only thing it keeps in. When petroleum toxins build up in your pores, so are all the other toxins that your pores are trying to push out. On the other hand, it’s also blocking good ingredients from getting into your skin.Here is a list of some of the most common petroleum based ingredients to watch out for:
- Propylene Glycol
- Parrafinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil)
- Parabens (Methyl / Ethyl / Butyl)
2. Petrochemicals aren’t the only thing that can clog your pores! There are a number of other ingredients commonly found in cosmetics that can plug up your skin. To read a previous blog Batty wrote on comedogenic ingredients you want to avoid, check out Pore-Clogging Ingredients
Avoid these kinds of ingredients by ensuring that you are using natural products, made specifically for your face! Take the time to get to know the companies you buy from, their values and the types of ingredients in their products. Natural products won’t clog your pores, and they’ll rinse clean away at the end of the day when you wash your face.
BONUS: Using natural products are often not just safe to use – THEY CAN BENEFIT YOUR SKIN TOO! The Batty’s Bath Nature’s Veil CC Cream is a great example. Not only does it provide you with the coverage of a lightweight foundation, the CC Cream also moisturizes and hydrates your skin while you wear it. Essentially, it helps to balance your skin while creating a flawless finish. Talk about a multitasker!
3. Get hip to fruit enzymes! Not only are they a non-abrasive way to exfoliate your skin, but they also provide you with an extra deep clean. Fruit enzymes have the ability to get down deep in your pores. Once they’ve reach their destination, they get busy eating (yes eating) the proteins and other debris blocking your pores.
You may even want to consider a CLEANSING scrub for makeup removal. These multitaskers will wash away your makeup while the scrub part takes care of any left behind debris. The Batty’s Bath Pineapple Facial Scrub is the perfect example of this! It exfoliates on two levels (gentle abrasion with jojoba beads, and fruit enzymes) and cleanses with a cream cleanser safe to use daily.
BONUS- Now, if you want to know Batty’s Makeup removing secret (likely found in your kitchen cupboard) give this video a peak. She talks about her easy-peazy routine for taking off eye makeup.
Hopefully now you’ll be able to sleep soundly knowing that your face is sqeaky clean and your skin can get some serious beauty rest too!
Until next time- stay radiant!
Regain Control with a Skin Reset
Get off the rollercoaster of having to hunt down a new product every time your skin becomes unruly! Enter your email address and we'll show you how.