Unless you happen to have microscopic vision, it can be tricky to know just how clean your pores actually are! What we see on the surface is only one part of the whole story. Breakouts are a good way to have some idea of the state of our pores, but what about when our skin is calm and not reactive? It’s not always the easiest to tell or know what’s going on below the surface, but here are a few tricks you can use to help ensure they’re fully functioning.
Make it magnetic! Certain natural ingredients are known for their abilities to draw out impurities. They’re like magnets for dirt and debris inside of your pores. The two most common ingredients are active charcoal and green mineral clay. They can both be commonly found in facial masks and are good to use once a week for the ultimate purge of pore impurities.
- Active charcoal: Think of active charcoal like a giant paper towel or microfiber cloth. Once activated, its strong absorption powers attract dirt and oil to the surface, making them easy to wash away. The abilities to draw out impurities deep in your pores is what makes this ingredient a popular choice for detoxing products like our Active Charcoal CP Soap and Charcoal Detox Facial Mask.
- Green Mineral Clay: Similar to active charcoal, this rich mineral clay is known for having a natural negative charge that works to attract toxins and impurities from your skin. Thanks to its mineral composition it also helps to improve skin’s tone and texture, as well as reduce inflammation found in acne breakouts and other skin conditions. You can find clays like this in a number of our products, such as the Wet Clay Mask, Dry Clay Mask, Daily Detox Facial Moisturizer and more!
- Lubrication is key! It’s important to note that we don’t simply shed skin on the surface. Your pores will naturally shed dead skin cells inside as well, and they aren’t always the easiest for our pores to push out on their own. Making sure your skin is well hydrated is crucial; it helps to ease the process by providing a ‘slip’ for impurities as they’re being pushed out.Not sure what type of hydrator your skin is asking for? Take our Hydrator Quiz!
- Keep up the momentum. Masks are great, but once you’ve done a good cleaning of your pores, providing it with a low dosage of clay can help to maintain a balanced state. Using a product, like our Daily Detox Facial Moisturizer, will continue to draw out those deeply lodged impurities over the long term and prevent new ones from causing blockages and congestion.
- Sloughing off is a good thing! A commonly missed step following a facial mask is exfoliation. You’ve just spent some quality time drawing all of those dirty bits to the surface, and we’d hate to see them revert back into hiding. Often times, these impurities are mixed with sticky oils from our skin, and without a gentle exfoliation, they’ll cling on for dear life and wreak havoc. Regular exfoliation will also help to ensure that those dead cells on the surface are being removed before they block off the entry ways to our pores. Just remember that the key to exfoliation success is to focus on the application. Aim to exfoliate with a light touch over a longer period of time. This will help ensure you’re getting rid of the bad without causing harm to your delicate facial skin.
- Purge the Petro! Avoid products that contain petrochemicals like mineral oil and parabens. Not only are they hormonal disruptors and carcinogenic, but they also create a “plastic-wrap” like layer on our skin that’s hard to break through. In order to support our skin’s natural functions, we need to be able to get through this barrier and deliver important ingredients (not to mention allow the bad stuff out). CLICK HERE to learn more about petrochemicals and our skin.
Hopefully, you’re feeling a little more in the “know” about pore cleansing now, but if this still feels a little overwhelming, we’ve got a simplified solution for you too! Essentially, everything we talked about in the above steps can be achieved with our Detox Kit. It takes the thinking out of the process and provides you with an easy-to-follow routine that will have your pores in tip-top shape.
Best part is… we have a 30-Day Detox Challenge designed to help you achieve clear, healthy pores! By signing up, you’ll receive support from other Radiant Rebels and the whole Batty’s Bath Team. We’ll all be here to help you navigate any challenges, provide some encouragement and share some tips and tricks along the way. We’ve even set up a special Facebook Group where you can chat with us about any questions, concerns or curiosities you have along the way.
You can JOIN the 30-Day Detox Challenge HERE.
With Love & Radiance,
Regain Control with a Skin Reset
Get off the rollercoaster of having to hunt down a new product every time your skin becomes unruly! Bring your skin back into balance with our routine builder workbook! Enter your email address below and I'll send it to you right away!