I have been using your products for a little while now including the tea tree nut scrub, skin support serum, patchouli grapefruit soap and patchouli moisturizer. Having battled acne for years, I finally made the jump to “green” products. I was noticing some immediate improvements in my skin as soon as I started using your stuff.
Lately however, I have been experiencing some bad breakouts again and areas of my face have become really dry. Am I doing something wrong, or using the right products?
Hey!! Thanks for contacting me. Sounds like the breakouts (based on the info you gave me) are likely because of two different things; Primarily, the dry skin you’re experiencing, and to a lesser extent, your skin detoxing – which can happen even when not using my detox specific products (I explain these types of breakouts in detail here).
The skin support serum will be one of the main reasons for your dry skin if you’re using it a lot. Generally, I don’t suggest using it on your face any more than a few times a week. And even that is too much for some people. (On the days you’re not using it on your face, use it on another area of your body instead. More info can be found about this on the skin support serum product page at (shopbattysbath.com).
For now, I would suggest not using it more than once a week (to kill excess p.acne bacteria) on your face until the dry skin is under control. To help get your skin balanced (and clear up the dry skin) as quickly as possible I would suggest the following:
Recommend steps for dry skin
- Not using the skin support serum more than once a week (like mentioned above)
- add the hydra healing gel into your routine in the AM & PM as soon as possible! (this will make a HUGE difference to getting your skin back on track and keeping it that way)
- after applying one layer of patchouli moisturizer, wait for it to absorb, and they apply another layer
- at night, I would HIGHLY recommend using a serum (not the skin support serum – it’s the only one of my serums that is drying – the rest are extremely moisturizing and protecting for the skin). Your best bet would be the Acne BOP Serum or After Acne Serum. Apply a layer that’s thick enough that it won’t absorb right away (so it will slowly absorb into your skin throughout the night). Just be sure to put a towel over your pillow!
- once a day, instead of using the tea tree scrub or the patchouli & grapefruit facial soap, use one of my other cleansers that are more suited to dry skin like my soothing cleanser, green tea & pineapple liquid cleanser. If your skin needs to be exfoliated well with every wash(which I’m guessing is the case since you mentioned it’s extremely dry), go with the pineapple facial scrub. Without exfoliating extremely dry skin with every wash we risk breakouts (dead skin cells clogging pores). You can even use the pineapple facial scrub in the AM & PM and use the tea tree scrub or P/G soap every 3rd to 4th wash (alternating between the two). So the routine would look something like this:
Monday: AM & PM – pineapple facial scrub. Tuesday: AM – pineapple facial scrub, PM – tea tree scrub. Wednesday: AM & PM – pineapple facial scrub. Thursday: AM – pineapple facial scrub, PM – p/g soap. Friday: start the cycle over again with pineapple facial scrub in the AM & PM.
Several nights a week, you could use the cystic acne mask as it’s extremely hydrating (which will help balance your dry skin) and fights acne. It can also be used like the hydra healing gel under your moisturizer a few days or nights a week. I hope that helps! Thanks again for your email and please let me know if there’s anything else I can help with (or if you have any more questions regarding the info above, don’t hesitate to send them over).
Regain Control with a Skin Reset
Get off the rollercoaster of having to hunt down a new product every time your skin becomes unruly! Enter your email address and we'll show you how.