School’s out, but nothing says summer like a beautiful, sunny days and your favourite summer tune on the radio. Another aspect of summer that I (and my skin) love about summer is how it makes my skin glow with radiance.
BUT you can’t just rely on the weather for radiant skin. Each season requires adjustments to your skin to achieve optimal results. Every season comes with its own skin care needs. The great part is, if you’ve already made the jump into a spring skin care routine, there’s just some tweaks you may need to make, so let’s get right into it.
Protect- don’t neglect! We won’t sit here and nag about the need for sun protection. If you haven’t gotten the memo by now, we’ve got bigger problems 😉 . What we will mention is that you want to make sure the protection you’re wearing is appropriate for the amount of exposure your skin has to the sun.All of our facial moisturizers contain UV-blocking Titanium Dioxide, but if you plan to be out in the sun for long periods of time, this won’t cut it. Opt for light clothing that will provide coverage and don’t forget the sunscreen.When it comes to sunscreen, my vote for the best clean acne-prone-skin-safe sunscreen (and the one I personally use) is Green Beaver’s Non-Whitening Sunscreen.If my fav clean sunscreen isn’t jiving with you, below is a list of the most common ingredients you’ll want to watch out for when choosing a sunscreen – in other words, avoid the following ingredients when picking out a sunscreen:
- Oxybenzone (Benzophenone-3)
- Octinoxate (Octy-Methoxycinnamate)
- Lighten –up! We mentioned this one in our blog entitled Spring Skincare Checklist for Radiant Skin. Simply stated, consider applying a lighter layer of your moisturizers or opting for a “lighter” formulation like our Raw Radiance Moisturizer.
- Nocturnal healing! Bedtime is a GREAT time to up the intake on your boosters (i.e. gels, mists, and serums). This is when our body’s healing systems are at their optimal levels of production. Increasing your boosters during this time will support this process and speed up progress. Your skin will thank you in the morning!
- Harness the power of anti-oxidants! These dynamic molecules are our body’s best defense against free radicals and damage from the sun. They stop free radicals in their tracks and help to prevent future damage. Beautiful sunny skies are a crucial part of a success summer, but they come with their own risks. Free radicals are at an all-time high during these months and it’s imperative to protect and defend against them.
- Get Gel-ly with it! Aloe based gels not only help improve the hydration levels of your skin, they also provide a lot of anti-inflammatory relief during the summer months when heat can lead to an excess of breakouts from conditions like eczema and acne.
- Get wise to Vitamin D! It’s a common misconception that once summer comes and we’re outdoors more often, that our Vitamin D levels are restored after the long winter. This may have been true in the age where little was known about the damaging properties of UV Rays. Today people protect their skin from head to toe in sunscreen. This is a SMART habit to get into, but the downside is that it also blocks other things that we need like Vitamin D. It’s not uncommon for people to be deficient in the Vitamin D department during the summer months and taking a supplement may just be what you need to get back on track.Want to know if you have a Vitamin D deficiency? All it takes is a simple blood test at your Dr.’s office.I know we’re supposed to be chatting about getting or keeping radiant skin, so why am I talking about Vitamin D?Well, just like all organs, the skin (our largest organ), is affected by deficiencies – and a deficiency in Vitamin D, in particular, can stop us from reaching our clear skin goals. Having the appropriate amounts of Vitamin D reduces acne, boosts collagen production (important for skin health and appearance – such as lessening fine lines), and reduces the appearance of dark spots /hyperpigmentation. Without enough vitamin D the skin can start to look shallow and dull – which doesn’t quite give off that radiance we all know and want.Internally, Vitamin D is vital for reducing / clearing acne because it supports the body in ways that reduce the root causes & triggers of acne, like inflammation and insulin spikes. It aids in the reduction of inflammation (which we know is a root cause of acne) and helps regulate the insulin response – which we learned (in this blog post) has a significant impact on acne development.
- Ward off the risk of congestion! If you haven’t gotten acquainted with how congestion happens (and how to avoid it), now is the time to go on a knowledge quest. While hydration is one of the biggest challenges during the winter, congestion is a significant issue in the warmer months of the year. Hydration and congestion are important factors to keep in mind all year long, but they tend to come in to play in bigger ways during certain times of the year.Here’s your basic breakdown on congestion: Acne- Common Cause #4
- Be hip to the spritz! Going to be sweating like a mofo with no chance to give your face a splash of water (and maybe a little Pure Amore Cleanser to reduce inflammation from the heat and clear out any sweat and bacteria)? Then our Quick Spritz Oil Fix mist will become your new best friend. The witch hazel balances oils, boots any irritating proteins in your sweat off your skin, and thanks to the lavender essential oil (which kills acne-causing bacteria), it provides your skin with a mild (yet super-efficient) dose of bacteria-killing power. I don’t go to the beach (or when I attended craft shows in the middle of summer) without my Quick Spritz!
- Building a foundation! Do you have a foundation that you love during the winter, but when the summer comes, all of a sudden it seems to be causing breakouts? With your skin being more prone to swelling and inflammation in the summer (you can’t see this inflammation or swelling – it happens on such a small – but important scale – that your pores will be feeling it, but you likely won’t see it), occasionally products that worked well for us before, aren’t working well now.I see this happen a lot when a foundation (that has pore clogging ingredients) doesn’t cause any issues until the warmer months roll around. Check the foundation you’re using with THIS FLOWCHART to see if you need to find a summer-safe alternative.Note: This can also happen to gals who have no problem with coconut oil during the winter, but come the summer, their skin isn’t having it – now this is RARE, but worth mentioning in case you’re having a heck of a time trying to figure out what’s going on!
- Beware of summer bacne! Back acne is caused primarily by a combination of sweat, oils, bacteria, and dead skin cells. The solution: cleansing + exfoliating + calming.My recommendation: Our Tea Tree Scrub – it will cleanse the area of dirt, oil, kill bacteria (thanks tea tree essential oil!), and slough off dead skin cells (thanks to the finely ground nut shells). It also feels really awesome! Just a quick scrub along the top of your back should help you see positive results fairly quickly. If you want to boost your regiment, apply our Cystic Acne Mask in a thin layer to your back after getting out of the shower and drying off (Note I said THIN layer – a thick layer won’t fully absorb and you’ll have what looks like flaky skin sloughing off when it actually the mask that’s dried and didn’t fully absorb, and is now flaking off). The aloe in the mask will calm any inflammation and the tea tree EO will provide bacteria killing power (to keep any future bacteria from causing issues). Another alternative would be to apply our Patchouli Facial Moisturizer. It will calm, protect, and encourage the healing of previous acne breakouts.Remember the Quick Spritz that you’re bringing along to all your summer adventures? That can be your secret weapon against back acne until you can hop in the shower. Just give the top of your back and shoulders a spritz as you feel yourself getting hot and sweaty.
- Avoid Chicken Skin! No- we aren’t talking about fried chicken. Remember those rich moisturizers you may have set aside for the warmer mouths? Don’t put them too far away from you because if you have bumpy arms (upper arms, on the backside of arms, A.K.A. chicken skin), this moisturizer could be just what your skin needs. This skin is bumpy usually due to the hair follicles being irritated and dry skin. Your best bet of getting rid of those bumps is gentle exfoliation each day in the shower and generously applying rich creams and serums as often as possible. Aim to apply your moisturizer after getting out of the shower in the morning, followed by a generous application before bedtime.Great choices would be: Mild Jojoba Scrub or Pineapple Scrub, and Patchouli Facial Moisturizer or Body Butter.For an extra boost apply a serum before layering on the moisturizer or Body Butter. Great serums would include our Eczema Serum, Balance Serum, and Hydration Serum.
So that was a lot to digest, and we’re sure you’re already conferring with your current skin care routine, but hey – it’s summer! Get out and enjoy the sunshine and warm weather while you can! We’ll be here when the sun goes down and the bonfires have burnt out to help you develop the perfect routine for your skin – no matter what season it is!
P.s. Had enough fun in the sun or time by the campfire and you’re ready to get down to crafting the perfect routine?
Awesome! Right this way….
Regain Control with a Skin Reset
Get off the rollercoaster of having to hunt down a new product every time your skin becomes unruly! Bring your skin back into balance with our routine builder workbook! Enter your email address below and I'll send it to you right away!